Remember back to pre-baby when Adam and I were living on different sides of South Korea? My dinner looked like this:
But now, with Adam at work and needing to eat balanced meals for my milk supply, I have to plan a little better than that.
I think I am starting to develop a routine as a stay at home mom. Slow cooking has become my new best friend. The slow cooker was invented in 1971, a rival company released the Crock Pot…which is basically what we call slow cooking now by default.
I dream of dinners looking like this from No. 2 Pencil:
According to Wikipedia:
The Naxon Utilities Corporation of Chicago, under the leadership of Irving Naxon, developed the Naxon Beanery All-Purpose Cooker. Naxon was inspired by a story his Jewish grandmother told about how back in her Lithuanian shtetl, her mother made a stew called cholent, which took several hours to cook in an oven.The Rival Company bought Naxon in 1970 and reintroduced it under the Crock-Pot name in 1971. In 1974, Rival introduced removable stoneware inserts making the appliance easier to clean. The brand now belongs to Sunbeam Products.
Traditionally we used our slow cooker to make stew. Then basic meat and chicken dishes…but man, now, I have been experimenting with all sorts of recipes including desert. Check out my Slow Cooker Pinterest board
It’s pretty hard to find healthy recipes for the slow cooker as most require some sort of sauce or sodium filled additive.
Some sites with healthy recipes are:
Six Sister Stuff has some amazing recipes. One of my favorites:
Ingredients:1 (30 oz) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes1 lb ground sausage (I used Italian sausage), browned and drained2 cups shredded cheddar cheese1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese1 onion, diced1 green pepper, diced1 red pepper, diced12 eggs1/2 cup milk1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Spray a 6 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray (you cannot make this recipe in a smaller crock pot because it won’t fit). Layer 1/2 of the potatoes on the bottom of slow cooker.
Top with half of the sausage, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, onions, green peppers, and red peppers. Repeat the layers again.
Beat eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in large bowl with a wire whisk until well blended. Pour egg mixture evenly over potato-sausage mixture.
Cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours or until eggs are set.
Top with green onions, salsa, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado- whatever you like!
Recipe slightly adapted from Jimmy Dean
How often do you use your slow cooker? What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe? (Comment below)
- Recipe: Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage (mmurphy65.wordpress.com)
- Melt in your mouth Slow Cooker Pot Roast (muffinsandmocha.wordpress.com)
- Eat Lemon Chicken (marciebillen.wordpress.com)
- Slow Cooker Dips (todaysmama.com)
- Easy Slow cooker turkey sausage (yinzerfit.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Southern Chickpeas and Grits (from Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You) (healthyslowcooking.com)
- Recipe: Slow Cooked Lamb Stew (mybeautifulthree.wordpress.com)
- Crock-Pot Margarita Chicken (qsandpsofglutenfree.wordpress.com)
- Easy slow cooked Shepard’s Pie recipe (homefullofcrazies.wordpress.com)
- Easy Crock-pot Dinner- Chinese Spare Ribs (awemazingmom.wordpress.com)