Today is the 37th annual Great American Smokeout sponsored by the American Cancer Society. The goal is to get people to make a plan to quit smoking or plan ahead and make today the day that they quit.
Adam and I have never been a fan of cigarettes or smoking. I love that the laws here don’t allow people to smoke in restaurants and in most public places. In Korea, this is not the case. People can smoke anywhere and all the tables in just about every restaurant have ash trays sitting on them. We both really don’t like how this is someone else’s bad habit, yet due to second hand smoking we are still affected.
Just a little FYI from the American Cancer Society.
Tobacco use remains the single largest preventable cause of disease and premature death in the US, yet about 43.8 million Americans still smoke cigarettes — Nearly 1 in every 5 adults. As of 2010, there were also 13.2 million cigar smokers in the US, and 2.2 million who smoke tobacco in pipes — other dangerous and addictive forms of tobacco.
So Lisa’s, Health Challenge today for November 15th…What are some bad habits you got rid of or are working towards fixing?
Well I am sitting in my Mom’s living room I am asking her what bad habits I have. Of course, she says I am perfect and I must agree. But I guess there are always things you can be better at…
- I have gotten really bad at calling people back and spending time with my friends now that I am home from Korea. I am not sure why that is. I just don’t feel like I have much to share at the moment. We are still in the same situation as when we arrived. I get pretty down about it.
- Adam says (this is a community activity right now) that I am too hard on myself. This is directly correlated with above. I do need to work on this.
- I don’t wash my face everyday…this could have something to do with my nasty complexion as of late. But, on the other hand with it being so bad I am finding myself washing a good 4 times a day right now, which could also be the culprit of bad skin.
What bad habits are you working towards fixing?
- The Great American Smokeout (wellnessinnurses.com)
- Seattle Joins Great American Smokeout 2012 (seattle.cbslocal.com)
- BullSmoke Honors Great American SmokeOut with Largest Sale Ever (prweb.com)
- The Great American Smokeout (drsimonsays.wordpress.com)
- The Great American Smokeout: Greeting Card Universe Congratulates Smokers Who Quit and Break the Habit (prweb.com)
- American Cancer Society to host ‘Great American Smokeout’ (amarillo.com)
- Cancer survivor tells her story for Great American Smokeout (enterprisenews.com)
- The Great American Smokeout: A Playlist For Quitters (wcbsfm.cbslocal.com)