November 13… Favorite Fall Harvest Recipe
Korean Pumpkin Soup (Porridge) 호박준 -Hobakjoon
In Korea, you can buy this soup from the market. The women sell it out of huge vats, and it is perfect for cooler weather!
Here is the recipe, from ChristyLee.org, with more pictures and details.
abocha squash – 1 medium (or acorn squash as we used when we lived in Korea)
Water – 2 cup, (plus 3/4 cup for sweet rice flour mix)
Sweet rice powder – 1/4 cup
Organic sugar – 3 T, optional
Salt – 1 tsp
- Clean and steam the squash (40 minutes)
- Cool, take of skin and take out seeds
- put in food processor or mixer with 2c. water, until smooth
- You can eat it just like this if you want it healthier
- or for traditional korean soup.. transfer to a pot over med. heat
- In a separate bowl, add 1/4 cup sweet rice flour and 3/4 cup of water.
- Pour into pumpkin soup pot
- mix and add sugar and mix
make birds eggs (mini rice cakes)
make the tiny bird eggs, you just need:
Sweet rice flour – 1/2 cup
Warm water – 2 T
Salt, , optional
- In a large bowl, add sweet flour and warm water.
- Knead into a ball using hands.
- then roll into tiny birds eggs (1/4 of an inch or smaller)
- boil 1 min and cool in cold water
- add to soup
- also add cooked red beans
The birds eggs and red beans give the soup some texture and are a great sweet add on.
You can find out more abut the November Health and Fitness Challenge